First off, let me say, WOW. This week has been so challenging, frustrating, tiring, but an absolute blast. I had to deal with quite a bit of spiritual warfare along the way, something that I will probably continue to battle with for the remainder of my time here. I will describe this a bit more later in the blog, but first, I’d like to detail a bit of what has happened this week. I’ll try not to make it quite as long as the last one, but I hope it is still informative.
On Monday, we had a morning bible study with all of the girl counselors, in which we discussed prayer. It was really important for me to read 2 Chronicles 7:12-16 because I need to more fully humble myself and pray and seek the Lord, knowing that God will be there to answer my prayers, especially because He has brought me here, and His heart is in mine. I often forget or doubt that God really answers me when I pray, but I should expect in faith that He will provide for me, especially because He already knows what I need. Midday, all the staff got together for a time of worship and prayer before our campers came, which was so awesome, and a great time to spend in prayer and reflection of God’s purpose for me here.
In the evening, the campers arrived. I greeted parents and kids dressed as Esther the Jester, along with the other judges. This was fun and awkward, because I looked absolutely ridiculous and talked with an awesome British accent. After I changed, I went to meet my campers and have cabin time with them. My co-counselors were Anna and Tammy, and we had six 11-year-old girls in our cabin: Abby, Hannah, Rachel, Sara, Leah, and Elanor. They all know each other from church, which is cool because they were really talkative and worked together right away to make a cabin name and cheer.
Who loves Jesus? FAB CAB 5
Who loves Jesus? FAB CAB 5
Who who who? FAB CAB 5
That’s right that’s right that’s right that’s right THAT’S RIGHT
How awesome is that?! These girls were such blessings from the start. They had so much energy and were so excited for all of the activities we were doing. During small group time, some girls were more talkative than others, but as time went on I could see God working in them, and it was really cool to see them eager to answer questions, and ask really tough ones too. When the week started, they were all too shy to pray in front of the group, but by the end of the week, they all prayed aloud with the group, which is such an awesome way that I can see God working in them, just by stepping out in faith and fellowship with other Christians.
Throughout the week, it was such a blast to be a part of Domainia as a judge. We had skits planned out for each night before handing out awards to cabins for chivalry, elegance, service, and spirit. Our first skit explained what each of these things means/how they can be demonstrated. During the second skit, Princess Peach gets a fencing lesson from Sir Awesome, meanwhile Peasant Lily and I (Esther the Jester) partake in our own competition in finger fencing. Chester the Jester acts as the commentator while both battles are taking place, and Sir Awesome and Peasant Lily come out victorious. Our third skit was definitely the most fun (and messy)! While Princess Peach and Sir Awesome have a dinner party (pie and water, you can only guess what happens…), Chester and Esther the Jesters come in arguing about who has a better plastic bag outfit, and eventually Esther pies Chester in the face, and Chester pours water on Esther’s head. It is totally shocking and ridiculous, and was VERY fun to play. I have to be honest and say that the jesters’ award for spirit was definitely the most popular, and many of the cabins got really into the game (especially my Fab Cab 5)!
Even with all the fun of rafting, playing games, having awesome pool time, leading the art workshop with Tanya and Anna, and having great co-counselors and campers, I still went through the week with an odd feeling. I was sort of sad and unsure of why I am here, and I got really frustrated with my emotions. During my discipleship time with Meredith, we discussed some of the things I’m feeling, which I will be figuring out in my time here. I am ready to let all of my frustrations go to God, but I’m sure that it is going to be even more challenging than now, and I am nervous about that. I am nervous that God will break down walls that I have put up between Him and I, and I don’t know that I am ready for that, even with that desire for my life to be different. This week I fell into believing a lot of the lies that the Enemy put in front of me, lies saying that I wasn’t cut out for this job, that I was never going to do anything to change the lives of the kids I am working with. It is a constant battle for me to believe that God has prepared me for what is to come, and I have found a lot of encouragement in the other counselors around me. They have been such a blessing and I am so thankful for the opportunity to get to know them. Even in 6 short weeks, I can tell that these people are going to be lifelong friends, and I am so thankful for that. There is a sense of security with them, and I feel able to be more authentic and vulnerable with them because they have such a love for God, and His love pours out onto me through them. I can only hope that I can be the same sister in Christ for them.
By the time Friday came around, I was ready for the week to be over, but I was also sad to see the campers go because they were so fun and the last few days were constant singing, dancing, and cheering! When the campers left, all the staff went out for food and to hang out, and I had such a blast. I was so excited to have “big people time” and I ended up staying up till 4 am playing music, singing, and talking to some of the other counselors. We had really great conversations about our lives and our experiences, which was so interesting and I absolutely loved it. It totally rejuvenated me for this next week (besides the whole sleeping bit, haha)!
Overall, camp was different than I expected it to be. There is constant activity, so I got really tired by the end of the day. Small group time was structured, but it was hard when the girls weren’t responsive. I think that it will be harder with the inner-city kids in the next few weeks because they haven’t heard the gospel before and wont know how to answer the questions that relate directly to God. Those times will be great opportunities to explain and really share the truth of God, which will be hard and makes me nervous, but I know that He will prepare me with the right words. I just hope that I wont fall into those lies that cause me to doubt so much, but rather that I would more fully rely on God to guide me, so that I understand that He loves me more than anything and is healing my weary mind and heart. I supposed this would be a great area to pray for me, in addition to prayer for all of the other counselors here, and for the hearts of the kids that are going to be coming. I am so excited, and I hope that this blog gets you excited for what I am doing as well! Thank you all for your support once again!
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So glad you are doing some crazy stuff over there.
Do God work son!
Congratulations on another successful week of learning to better understand yourself and your relationship with God. I love you sweet Hallie Deane. A*L*O*H*A Aunt Janine
Post a Comment